The Phineas and Ferb Community Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Hihi - Introduce Yourself
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 pm by eeemeee

» FanFiction
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am by Roy42

» Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» (Fic) Snow Dungeon
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:46 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Perry/Doofenshmirtz
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Candace Disconnected
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» Where did everybody go?
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 5:26 am by Noellicorn

» Spongebob ?!?
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:20 am by digigirl02

» Just A Quick Question
Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

+7
PaFfanatic
ChatterBox
TheFraggable74
BigNeerav
DjangoKatie
ChimneyVator
Roy42
11 posters

Finding Mary McGuffin

Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 Empty Finding Mary McGuffin

Post by Roy42 Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

McGuffin: An object or device in a movie or book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot.

Sure, the Little Mary McGuffin dolls are really rare and Candace's one is very precious to her, but Lawrence sold it for a whole dollar! Well worth it, clearly. Who else is Candace to turn to, but a pair of boy detectives, freshly inspired by film noir to help her track down a certain German accented, lab coat wearing buyer. In completely unrelated events, has getting Vanessa the object that earns her love for him prevented Doofenshmirtz from using his second hand Inator on the Tri-State Area? No, a missing On/Off switch has.

Share your thoughts on this episode.

BigNeerav

Number of posts : 699

Finding Mary McGuffin - Page 2 Empty Re: Finding Mary McGuffin

Post by BigNeerav Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:10 am

The point I was making was why I did not like this episode, which I made clear, as well as the reasons why, and won't repeat myself.

And Frag......if you read through my posts, you would better understand where I was coming from, which I made ABUNDANTLY clear in my last two posts with regards to the episode, since I was more elaborate as to my reasons for not liking this episode, more than the reaon that you mentioned, with hopes that the creators do a better job in making episodes that people would WANT to turn on the televsion and watch.

There.......we can now start disussing other important points with regards to this episode.
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 pm

The trouble with wanting to discuss other things about the episode is that you've made your position about the episode so abundantly clear — apparently — in that you find it something that would make people want to turn off the TV, anything that someone might attempt to say about the episode would be met with you countering it with why it wasn't good if you remained in the discussion, and that's when it becomes trolling, especially since you've said a few times that you won't repeat yourself.

Now, while I could keep talking about how if anyone were to ever say that a plot or concept 'doesn't work for PaF' then they're not accepting that it needs to grow and evolve as a show, including what it can and can't work with, affecting their perceptions on future episodes, I get the feeling that unwarranted hostility would be the first response from the first member checking the thread when they wake up.

So instead, I'll say that it's probably a good idea for everyone to not let a bad day at work or school affect their rational thinking — not that I can factually say that it has to anyone on this forum — and move onto specific parts of the episode that I enjoyed.

Having spent a recent weekend watching nothing but Film Noir, it was great to see the clichés made fun of in good taste as well as being self aware when the episode did it.

Nice song; Olivia hasn't gotten many turns to sing, and this is the first… yeah, the first that's a solo performance, which was also nice.

Of all lines, the most notable for me was:

Vanessa: Have you seen my Little Mary McGuffin doll?
    Charlene: Could it be the one I put in the box for Charitable Charities?
    Me: No, not that one, she means the other rare doll that was discontinued years ago that Vanessa owns two of, obviously.

Of all Ferb's actions, the top contenders were:

1. Lean on him
    2. Piece of cake

Doofenshmirtz was great at proving how sad his life is, since the toss up was between putting incorrect ON/OFF switches onto a machine and being a lawn gnome while your best friend floats up into space.
    BigNeerav

Number of posts : 699

Post by BigNeerav Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:52 pm

You know, Roy and all, one would never think that Doofenshmirtz even had a good side, but I did find the part where he actually cared about Vanessa kind of cool. For once, Vanessa was pretty happy, whereas most of the time, she is pretty grumpy, especailly around her dad.
    DjangoKatie
    DjangoKatie

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2009-08-05

Post by DjangoKatie Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Nice song; Olivia hasn't gotten many turns to sing, and this is the first… yeah, the first that's a solo performance, which was also nice.

Not the first one; "I'm Me" from "Vanessasary Roughness" was the first one, I think.
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:19 am

I didn't include that one because I counted Ferb playing guitar and generally being there during the parts around the store as being part of the performance.

Well Doofenshmirtz has always cared for Vanessa, though.
    Livyrosebud
    Livyrosebud

Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by Livyrosebud Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 am

Yeah, he tried to do the whole birthday party thing in 'Dude We're Getting The Band Back Together'....but obviously that didn't work out as well as this did. I liked this episode overall, especially the parts where they were parodying detective shows. Cracked me up.
    DjangoKatie
    DjangoKatie

Post by DjangoKatie Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:43 pm

You're right Roy, but Ferb wasn't actually singing on that track. That's why I thought it was a solo performance.
    eeemeee
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by eeemeee Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 pm

So far, this is my favorite of the new episodes. I thought it was awesome.

Well, the ending of the show has someone doing something nasty, in this case, rudely stealing a doll from a girl's hand. I dont think that is something likeable. Sure, it is a departure from the norm, which we need for the show, but that one really got me like "what?".

I didn't read the large argument following this comment, so excuse me if I'm repeating things already said, but the nice thing about that ending was that it didn't try to send some big message about how material things don't really matter and it's the thought that counts and blah blah blah. I was actually surprised Disney let that happen... I thought it was going to end with Vanessa explaining what happened to Candace and Candace deciding to let her have it. I much prefer how it actually ended. Very Happy

And Vanessa's relationship with her dad in this episode was... aww.

"They printed the words upside down! I mean, what kind of dummkopf would-- ohhh."
    DjangoKatie
    DjangoKatie

Post by DjangoKatie Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Vanessa simply stole the doll to impress her father, as that is what he would've done in the same situation. I'd be surprised if the Disney company started altering episodes just because they're afraid of the audience's reactions.
    Dr. Doofenshmirtz
    Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Number of posts : 52
    Registration date : 2009-06-27

Post by Dr. Doofenshmirtz Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:46 am

You mean like Little Shop of Horrors? Except that was a piece of art about someone sacrificing others for his own purposes, and Phineas and Ferb is the exact opposite of all food for thought. Anyways, this was a FUN episode! Doof being proud of Vanessa for upsetting a little girl, "WHAT KIND OF IDIOT MAKES A SWITCH UPSIDE DOWN!", and Phineas and Ferb doing their detective shtick. Gotta love the narration gags. CLASSIC.

"Would you boys like to come in for some apple juice?"
    "That would be nice, ma'am."
    That was a funny gag, but in today's overly cautious world, I'm surprised that got in.
    Giordano
    Giordano

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by Giordano Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:51 am

MY FAVOURATE EPISODE, with two of my favourate P+F jokes:

"Yes, yes we...are." BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA---DOOFENMERTZ EVIL INCORPORATED!"

"What kind of a dumbcoif makes a switch upside down? It really... I DID IT!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am