The Phineas and Ferb Community Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Hihi - Introduce Yourself
Genres EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 pm by eeemeee

» FanFiction
Genres EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am by Roy42

» Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension
Genres EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» (Fic) Snow Dungeon
Genres EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:46 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Perry/Doofenshmirtz
Genres EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Candace Disconnected
Genres EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» Where did everybody go?
Genres EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 5:26 am by Noellicorn

» Spongebob ?!?
Genres EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:20 am by digigirl02

» Just A Quick Question
Genres EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

5 posters

Genres

Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Genres Empty Genres

Post by Roy42 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 am

Some books, just can't be classified, or can't be put in one classification. This thread is for discussion about a book that doesn't fall into the categories noted, but you still wish to talk about.

Discuss your favorite, albeit slightly generic, books.
    ChatterBox
    ChatterBox

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

Genres Empty Re: Genres

Post by ChatterBox Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:56 am

Aah, just got finished reading a rather interesting new book... that doesn't really fall into any specific category (likewise).

It's called 'House' (???) by Frank Peritti and Ted Dekker. Pretty much two couples (Jack and Stephanie, Randy [eek, RON-DEE... I love that guy] and Leslie) all have their cars mysteriously (pfft, their tires were spiked) "stop working" on the Alabama backroads. They decide to shelter at a small "hotel" that they both came across (NOTICE: Randy and Leslie got there first and the two to learn a thing about each other until a little later).

They meet the owners, Stewart -- a bulky man with not a pound of fat on his body -- oddball Betty, and Pete, their mentally retarded son.

When they are suddenly locked inside the house the found themselves playing a deadly game with a serial killer (who I love even more than RON-DEE... I hadn't known that was possible. Be warned, Doof still takes the cake).

The rules of his game become clear when a tin can with the rules scrawed on it is tossed into the house:

Welcome to my Hosue
    House Rules

1. God came to my house and I killed him.
    2. I will kill anyone just like I killed God.
    3. Bring me a dead body and I might let rule #2 slide.

Game ends at dawn.

See? As "scary" as the author intended it to be, I can't help but find myself drawn into the killers' aura of complete awesomeness.

Pretty much the book is about that. WIth Jack and Randy trying to escape through the front door White (the "killer") drives a car through and virually blocking off any escape by the time the return to the room (it's... weird... weird supernatural type stuff in a way, I suppose). They find themselves chased into the basement where the real came begins; the perfect arena. Catacombs of former underground railroad type thing.

That's pretty much just what it's about... loved the book though was quite disappointed when of the the most shady characters turns out to be not so shady.

Aah, Randy's coward-ness, psychoticness, crowbar/knife/shotgun moments and mental/emotional break down moments where certainly some of the best as well as some of his utterly stupid sayings and lines: "I garun-freacking-tee". As well, as "ONE DEAD BODY, JACK!!" "Are you planning on killing me, Randy? Hmm? Is that it?" "That's not what I was suggesting!! But I'm not dying..." and how could I resist: "As soon as he got out of their, he'd go through some surgery to fix hus bowels up."

And Whites' overall intelligence, sophistication, cross between angel and demon...-ness-ness makes him so utterly attractive and interesting. I also love some of his lines "The truck in the wall had been a nice touch." And of course, White was armed, and white knew the catacombs. White was perfect, it seemed. Flawless in a certain light. I mean, you can't nesscarily call a serial killer flawless because they do have few blemishes on their file somewhere deep down.

I also had to make myself believe certain things to alter the ending of the book for my own pleasure. I did feel as if a few thigns were cop outs but it was a decent book all together.
    Laughingcheese:)
    Laughingcheese:)

Number of posts : 334
    Location : The UK or if you prefer a basement in the middle of nowhere where I keep my pencil's and paper.
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by Laughingcheese:) Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Wow...that book sounds interesting..and Chatterbox your review style is really good to read Very Happy
    ChimneyVator
    ChimneyVator

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by ChimneyVator Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Agreed? Have you ever considered becoming a critic? I'd read your stuff!

And, just out of curiosity, what is the book called, and who wrote it?
    ChatterBox
    ChatterBox

Post by ChatterBox Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:56 am

I believe I mentioned it but you must have missed it (don't worry, I seriously do this all the time). It's called 'House' and it's by Frank Peritti and Ted Dekker.

Secondly, no I have never thought of becoming a critic. That's quite ironic, during my boom presentation for this earlier today (eek, 25 extra credit points, how could I resist?... need those points to help my grade awfully bad) and a couple people told me I should be a critic... since when have you decided to stalk me? Smile
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Post by Roy42 Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:28 am

I wouldn't use the term 'critic', but it wasn't a bad review.

Sounds like an all right book, too; probably one of the few I'll spend money on to read as opposed to rereading what I already have.
    ChatterBox
    ChatterBox

Post by ChatterBox Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:04 am

Eh, well, it has a bit of a religious undertone; not sure if you'd like that. Feels like a rip-off almost and has a few cliche/really triipy or bizzarre moments. Still a good read, though. Well, for me anyways because I was absolutely in love with two characters and would do a mini cabbage patch or clap insanely when ever the showed up. That's always entertaining, to be quite frank.

Yes, I know I wouldn't really call myself some great critic or anything but I'm glad I got some approval from you, Roy. That's always great.

Last edited by ChatterBox on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : GHETTO IS STRICTLY NOT PART OF MY LANGUAGE,)
    eeemeee
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by eeemeee Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 am

One of the things we're going to do in French class this year is read the book "The Little Prince" (well, in the original French though, so technically it's "Le Petit Prince," but whatever.) Out of curiosity today I googled the title, and found an online version in French.

I read the first two chapters, skimmed a couple more, and then read the seventh chapter... and now I'm so excited to read this book I can barely contain myself. Razz It's exactly the type of book I love-- the kind that barely makes sense but makes perfect sense on some other level at the same time... plus it has the added benefit of being completely adorable and having some awesome quote every few paragraphs.

The only sad bit is that I can't read the rest of it until February... I promised myself I wouldn't read any more of the online version, because I really should save some for when I read it with my class.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am