The Phineas and Ferb Community Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Hihi - Introduce Yourself
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 pm by eeemeee

» FanFiction
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am by Roy42

» Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» (Fic) Snow Dungeon
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:46 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Perry/Doofenshmirtz
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 am by CoffeeFlavord

» Candace Disconnected
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 pm by CoffeeFlavord

» Where did everybody go?
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 5:26 am by Noellicorn

» Spongebob ?!?
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:20 am by digigirl02

» Just A Quick Question
Now Showing - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

+8
BigNeerav
LillyCrystal
phineasfletcher
Laughingcheese:)
Livyrosebud
eeemeee
tiggertine
Roy42
12 posters

Now Showing

Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Now Showing - Page 2 Empty Now Showing

Post by Roy42 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:50 am

First topic message reminder :

This is the thread for those interested in what's on the big screen right now. Well, last few years or so. Anyway, there have been some good releases in the past few years, and some not-so-good ones.

Discuss these releases here.

LillyCrystal

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

Now Showing - Page 2 Empty Re: Now Showing

Post by LillyCrystal Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 am

seriously. i think what they're gonna do is be cheap and re-build the entire place. which would be really stupid
    BigNeerav

Number of posts : 699

Post by BigNeerav Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:33 am

Wow.......so what I can tell, it sounds like some randomly placed scene that has no coherence to the plot the story. I, personally, am not a big fan of those, and I know many people who also share the same view.

Has anyone seen the new Transformers mopvie yet? I am dying to see it soon.
    LillyCrystal
    LillyCrystal

Post by LillyCrystal Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 am

yeah that's basically what it was...they just put it in there because the movie lacked a lot of action
    Livyrosebud
    Livyrosebud

Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by Livyrosebud Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 am

Yep. I mean once again, NO BATTLE! The Death Eaters were there for pretty much no reason.

As for Transformers...I paid to see robots attacking each other and stuff blowing up, which is what I got. I was satisfied.
    phineasavatar1
    phineasavatar1

Number of posts : 126
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by phineasavatar1 Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 am

I've read the books (well, am in the process of, reading the fourth one now) and also saw this movie. It was simply amazing, and while I understand it was clearly different from the books, I was told once that "A book is a book and a movie is a movie." So when they adapt something you like and change it, you just gotta understand that it's gonna be different, so just forget about the book and enjoy the movie for what it is. That's how I do things, at least... afro

Now, Harry Potter was, like I said, brilliant. It's gotta be my favorite. I just really liked it and can't really explain why. The 'Potter' movies are really awesome and of course so are the books.

Now, if anyone has seen Transformers 2, it's actually really good. It was also really funny and heavily action filled. Some people have said different, but IMO there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I haven't seen it yet ( Sad ) but Year One seems simply and utterly to-die-for. Just the commercials have me laughing hysterically and busting my gut.
    BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:45 am

I also read "Deathly Hallows", but wow, that must stink and ruin a pretty good movie. Well, let me see the movie and judge for myself what is good or bad. Hopefully, it will turn out good.

Any other good movies out there that you have seen or would recommend?
    LillyCrystal
    LillyCrystal

Post by LillyCrystal Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 am

alright...i'm going to tell you right now that i personally hated Transformers 2...all it was was giant robots and action. There was absolutely no story at all. I loved the first one because it was at least fun to watch a million times...but i don't even want to watch Transformers 2 again.
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 am

The problem with the movie is that it not only is a cheesy teen romance drama, starring 'kids' nearing their 30s that are getting ahead of themselves in relation to the book's storyline (well they were right from the 2nd movie), but it's also trying to justify itself as a good movie by having all of 3 kindof action-y scenes, that are all for their own sake.

Death Eaters taking down a bridge in London - Did not happen in the book and because of that, it didn't go anywhere, there was nothing behind it, certainly not the plot or anything.

Burning Burrow - Did not happen in the book, therefore also did not go anywhere, except of course into 'Relationship Boulevard'.

Death Eaters invade Hogwarts - Okay, this one confuses me, it happened in the book and yet the worst they did was to have Bella kick some glasses off of tables in the Great Hall, what happened to the 10 person (or thereabouts) magical brawl or that I recall from the end of the book?!

Spoiler:

Beyond that, the movie didn't even have an ending, it just stopped, more suddenly than a Star Wars film, it just ended, right out of nowhere comes the ending, with basically nothing resolved; sure, that's how the book kind of finished as well, but that was because it was a cliffhanger ending in the book and the only thing that seemed unresolved was what Harry now had to do, everything else, i.e all the relationship crap, was taken care of, or at least the last mention of anything romantic or whatever in the book, was long enough ago and had enough resolution in them that you didn't really think about it, but the movie's ending was all about how they were going to sort their 'teenage' dramas out, with a side dish of "The plot will advance too, probably."

All of this is my irritation about the movie without even going into the characters themselves or the plot beyond those 3 points, but I'll hold off and see if anyone would like me to actually continue.

EDIT: I wrote this before the last 10 posts or something were made.
    eeemeee
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449

Post by eeemeee Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 am

phineasavatar1 wrote:I haven't seen it yet ( Sad ) but Year One seems simply and utterly to-die-for. Just the commercials have me laughing hysterically and busting my gut.

I dunno, my sister saw it and said it was terrible. And she mentioned some gross thing involving a head. So... yeah.

I saw HP last night... I actually thought it was quite good. True, it deviated from the book a bit (not as badly as the third movie, though) and I have no idea what they're planning to do for the beginning of the seventh movie now that they've burned down the Burrow, but hey. I especially thought that the way the shots and camera angles were set up was done really, really well.

In response to your post, Roy, well, I have to disagree with you.

Yes, it didn't follow the book exactly, but movies are a different medium than books, and so things like cutting out Madame Rosmerta (which doesn't really affect the plot too significantly) saves time, and cutting out the fight between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters makes it so that Dumbledore's death is the last scene of emotion before the movie ends.

Also, I didn't really think it ended that abruptly. After all, that's where the book ends, so what were they gonna do...?

And, bridge in London-- this might've been in book seven, I can't remember, but in one of the books, a bridge collapsing in London was briefly mentioned, I swear.
    BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 am

Wow.......scenes that were not even in the book it was taken from? What is up with that? That's not really good, and anyone who can see that knows that this is how movies go downhill.
    Livyrosebud
    Livyrosebud

Number of posts : 253

Post by Livyrosebud Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 am

The bridge was mentioned. Book Six actually. Very quickly. Never actually shown though. If I wasn't very comfortable right now I'd go get the book to see exactly where. (Chapter One somewhere I think but I may be wrong)

I thought some of it was good, but some was...not. Like the relationship between Harry and Ginny wasn't developed at all. I don't think there was anything wrong with cutting Madame Rosmerta, but I think there should've been some sort of battle at the end. Otherwise the Death Eaters were there for basically no reason besides to burn down Hagrid's Hut and destroy the Great Hall.
    phineasavatar1
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 am

Yeah, that happens a lot, Neerav.

To eeemeee, HP 3 was actually really similar to the book, what was deviating so drastically that you saw? But I do agree the new movie was very awesome.

To Neerav: I heard Public Enemies was really cool. Might wanna check that out.
    BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 am

After reading the responses and looking through my notes, I can see thej incongruities here, which basically puts holes in the plots (what Roy refers to as "plotholes").
    eeemeee
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449

Post by eeemeee Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 am

BigNeerav wrote:Wow.......scenes that were not even in the book it was taken from? What is up with that? That's not really good, and anyone who can see that knows that this is how movies go downhill.

Well, again, movies are a completely different medium than books. Scenes that work in books might not work in visual format, and vice versa.

Livyrosebud wrote:The bridge was mentioned. Book Six actually. Very quickly. Never actually shown though. If I wasn't very comfortable right now I'd go get the book to see exactly where. (Chapter One somewhere I think but I may be wrong)

I thought some of it was good, but some was...not. Like the relationship between Harry and Ginny wasn't developed at all. I don't think there was anything wrong with cutting Madame Rosmerta, but I think there should've been some sort of battle at the end. Otherwise the Death Eaters were there for basically no reason besides to burn down Hagrid's Hut and destroy the Great Hall.

Well, and to kill Dumbledore. But true, they could've massacred the entire student body or something.

Thanks for clarifying about the bridge, too. Very Happy And I agree about the HarryxGinny thing... one moment she was kissing Dean, the next, she was flirting with Harry. Kinda made her seem a bit... yeah.

phineasavatar1 wrote:Yeah, that happens a lot, Neerav.

To eeemeee, HP 3 was actually really similar to the book, what was deviating so drastically that you saw? But I do agree the new movie was very awesome.

Well, one of the main things I remember was the way Harry got his Firebolt at the end, knowing who it was from, instead of in the middle, anonymously. And also, the dementors. In the book, they couldn't fly, and the Kiss of Death thing was a lot different... but hey, changing stuff is necessary to make books into movies. I didn't really have a problem with it. It was just different.

BigNeerav wrote:After reading the responses and looking through my notes, I can see thej incongruities here, which basically puts holes in the plots (what Roy refers to as "plotholes").

What plotholes, Neerav? I see discrepancies, but no plotholes.
    phineasavatar1
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 am

eeemeee:
    Well, one of the main things I remember was the way Harry got his Firebolt at the end, knowing who it was from, instead of in the middle, anonymously. And also, the dementors. In the book, they couldn't fly, and the Kiss of Death thing was a lot different... but hey, changing stuff is necessary to make books into movies. I didn't really have a problem with it. It was just different.

Hm....I see what you mean. it did make a pretty good ending, though, changing it, though I did find it a drastic change from the entire dark theme of the film. And you're right, like I said, a book is a book and it's movie adaption is a movie.

Well, again, movies are a completely different medium than books. Scenes that work in books might not work in visual format, and vice versa.

Yes, they really are. But it does sometimes lead to confusion. For example, they don't show the Veela in the fourth film so no one will understand it when they call Fleur part-Veela if they've never read the books. So they'll cut it out.

It's holywood, they do what they have to do. Like, for the new "The Last Airbender" film, they're gonna change a lot, but that's so they can squeeze an entire TV season into a two hour movie.
    BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:10 am

In an ideal sense, it would be nice if the movie were as close to the book as possible without adding that was not supposed to be included.
    phineasfletcher
    phineasfletcher

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2009-08-01

Post by phineasfletcher Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:49 am

the burrow scene was there to show u how much destruction the death eaters are causing and what voldemort would do to people who dont join him and be he is death eater so it basically makes sense
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 am

phineasfletcher wrote:the burrow scene was there to show u how much destruction the death eaters are causing and what voldemort would do to people who dont join him and be he is death eater so it basically makes sense

No, no it doesn't. Voldemort was actively screwing up the world in the 7th book, even if he was trying to show what he could cause to those who didn't join him, then the bridge and everything that had happened in the Muggle world was more than enough of an indication. The Burrow burning scene was absolutely unnecessary.
    tiggertine
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456

Post by tiggertine Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 am

Hehe, I finally saw the movie. Y'know, for a movie called 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', the actual half-blood prince revealing part was far less dramatic than I envisioned it would be.

"I DON'T NEED PROTECTION!!" Teehee. Draco, Draco. How I love you.
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:01 am

tiggertine wrote:Hehe, I finally saw the movie. Y'know, for a movie called 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', the actual half-blood prince revealing part was far less dramatic than I envisioned it would be.

"I DON'T NEED PROTECTION!!" Teehee. Draco, Draco. How I love you.

That part came under the "characters" rant that I hadn't included, but I was going to say that yes, Alan Rickman does pretty good as Snape normally, but he really doesn't grasp the concept of how even Snape does raise his voice, which he did in that scene in the book.

Speaking of the Half Blood Prince, where was:

a) The entire thought spellcasting thing

b) The HBP thought spell that was done before Sectumsempra

?
    phineasavatar1
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:09 am

Well, Roy, you can't expect a perfect adaption. There's gonna be somethings that are cut and if they are, you've gotta say to yourself, "This is a movie, the book was a book." It really does help, I'm telling you. You're going to hate ever movie adaption ever if all you focus on is what they cut out. 'Nuff said. Smile
    Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 am

phineasavatar1 wrote:Well, Roy, you can't expect a perfect adaption. There's gonna be somethings that are cut and if they are, you've gotta say to yourself, "This is a movie, the book was a book." It really does help, I'm telling you. You're going to hate ever movie adaption ever if all you focus on is what they cut out. 'Nuff said. Smile

You seem to forget exactly what I do, I focus on what someone did wrong, of course I'm not going to say they did some stuff well, mainly because in this instance, they didn't, at all, but even if they did get some of the movie done well, then I don't need to let them know that, they've got millions of hopeless 14-17 year old fangirls who might even believe that they have a chance with any of the hopelessly aging stars to constantly say that they did a good job.

As for "A movie is a movie, a book is a book." yes, I heard you the first time, don't repeat yourself or it'll have even less of a small impact that the first instance of you saying it did.

Would you like to hear another phrase? "It doesn't take much effort to get it right." Books can be full of interesting little details that make it a much richer reading experience. It doesn't take much effort to translate those little details over to film, to make the movie, not a better viewing experience, but an actually good viewing experience to begin with. Instead, the Harry Potter movies, as much as possible, replace any of the interesting and fun little details with (who could've guessed?) relationship drama blahblahblah aneurism.

Also, no, that's wrong as well, I'm not going to hate every screen adaptation of a novel, just the ones I've read, which happen to be only the Harry Potter books. But I still have good reason to, because they're doing a terrible job at it.

While you're wrong in that I can definitely expect a perfect adaptation, the correct phrase is "Of course no one but you can expect a perfect adaptation", even if it'll never happen, I still can at least expect that the adaptation is written by someone that didn't skim through the entire book in under an hour and say "Right then, pointless action, drama, funny, drama, conspiracy plot development for 10 seconds, drama, funny, Quidditch, drama, funny, spells, someone nearly killed, drama, funny, drama, drama, potions, another 10 seconds of plot, drama, funny, funny, etc."
    phineasavatar1
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 am

I still stick with my opinion, but you have your's, after all, so I'm no going to argue over which is right. That'd just be stupid, lol. I liked it and you didn't - what else it there to say? Razz
    LillyCrystal
    LillyCrystal

Post by LillyCrystal Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:49 am

i think that if they didn't add any of the stuff they usually do, and just replaced it with the things from the books that were actually enjoyable (and necessary) then the movies would go along fine. but personally, i did really like the movie and, like mentioned before, a book is a book and a movie is a movie...from what my brother says, they most of the time will be different (he's trying to get into the film business). But, i honestly don't like David Yates all that much anyway...and really wish someone else was directing the next movie.

Number of posts : 334
    Location : The UK or if you prefer a basement in the middle of nowhere where I keep my pencil's and paper.

Post by Laughingcheese:) Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

My friend dosen't like David Yates either...she think's he messed with the movie too much.I can't bring myself to see it though..I sympathise for Snape greatly Smile
    LillyCrystal
    LillyCrystal

Post by LillyCrystal Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:29 pm

i just don't like him after what he did with the fifth one -.-
    yeah...Snape really has it hard...they did a good job at showing how hard it was for him to do what he had to do, in my opinion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:46 pm